For Journal information including submissions please contact the Journal Editor, Charlene Ryan, Ph.D., School of Early Childhood Studies, Ryerson University. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Journal advertising information please contact Jody Chrisan. Email: email@example.com
THE CANADIAN MUSIC EDUCATOR
The Canadian Music Educator is the official quarterly journal of the Canadian Music Educators Association. CME publishes a wide range of articles pertaining to music education in Canada and across the globe. Its articles reflect the diversity of music education approaches, methods, musics, delivery systems, and practices across all student populations and teaching contexts in the 21st-century world. Topics pertain directly to music education students and teachers, music teacher educators, and music education researchers. Each edition includes a broad range of articles that may include best practices, research and research-to-practice reports, success strategies, advocacy, contemporary approaches, and commentaries. Updates from Canadian provincial and territorial music educators associations are also regularly included. A combination of peer-reviewed (generally research-based) and non-peer-reviewed (generally practice-based) articles are published in all editions.
Authors wishing to have submissions considered for publication should keep the following in mind:
- Submissions should not normally exceed 4000 words. However, exceptions may be made if warranted.
- Shorter articles or brief columns are welcome.
- All contributions must open with a 50-100 word abstract summarizing content.
- Illustrations, graphics, photos, are welcome. Quality and resolution must be sufficiently high for publication.
- Submissions are welcome in either English or French.
- Submissions are accepted by email only as MS Word documents.
- Please note that all accepted submissions may be edited. Edited versions will be returned for approval to the authors before publication.
- All submissions received will be acknowledged. If you do not receive an acknowledgment within one week of submission, please follow up with an email to the editor.
- Peer-reviewed submissions must be indicated as such in the email message to the editor upon submission of the article.
- All submissions should be sent directly to the editor, Dr. Charlene Ryan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In order for submissions to be published in the Canadian Music Educator, authors must agree to the conditions outlined in the CME Copyright Transfer document by return a signed copy to the editor by email (scanned). The editor will provide the document to authors upon acceptance of the submission.
FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSIONS
- All lower punctuation inside upper – e.g., “This is a quote.” or The trumpet went “dead,” but the conductor stayed “alive.”
- Sequences of items should each have a comma (before the last “and”). E.g., “People joined in, sang heartily, and danced in the background.”
- Only 1 space between sentences. Never use two or more.
- Use no underlining.
- Titles of books or journals are in italics (not underlined).
- Headings are in bold, not underlined.
- Use no running heads.
- Use endnotes (no footnotes.)
- Use a line space between paragraphs; do not indent.
- Do not double space text – single space body of text.
- Internal referencing: standard APA.
- Make suggestions for highlighted text that can go in boxes (not more than about 15 words).
- Reference lists may use the author’s full name.
- Reference lists must follow APA style.